Monday, December 12, 2011

119 Days

Veronica has been home with us for 119 days which is the same number of days that she spent in the NICU.  So after today, we can officially say that she has spent the majority of her life at home, and not in a hospital.   However strange this may sound, I figured out when this day would fall a month or two ago.  But even then, I didn't realize how significant this day would feel.  I feel like we are starting a new chapter in Veronica's life.  And a small part of me feels as though it's now time to let go of the entire NICU experience - although I'm not sure I am ready to do that.  I wonder if I will ever be.  And I wonder when, or even if, the day will come when I don't at some point think about Veronica's birth or NICU experience.  If that day never comes, is that necessarily a bad thing? 

For now, we will enjoy this day and even celebrate a bit - for the past 119 days have been wonderful.  Watching Veronica grow and reach new milestones has been amazing.  I don't want to brag too much, but isn't she adorable?




2 comments:

  1. She is absolutely adorable, and she has such cute chubby cheeks!

    I don't think one day has passed where I haven't at least for a second thought about the twins' prematurity or time in the NICU. I don't dwell on it, but I do think about it. Today, in music class, Camdyn was dancing all around, arms waving in the air and bouncing her little tiny legs, and for a split second, I wanted to cry tears of joy. In an instant, I thought of her as a 1 lb. 2 oz. micro-preemie laying in an isolette on a ventilator, and here she is dancing in front of me! It's amazing, and I don't think it's a bad thing if you are never able to forget about her NICU experience. To me, it's a daily reminder to give thanks for all my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Baby!!! Being home longer than the hospital deserves celebration!

    This often is also on my mind. Will I ever let it go? I don't know and like you, not sure I want to. Our NICU experiences makes us who we are today.

    ReplyDelete