I can't believe that May is almost over and this is my very first post of the month. I would love to keep this blog going indefinitely, but my sense is that my posts will continue to become more and more infrequent. I am finding that although I still think of Veronica's early arrival and her NICU journey, it seems to be becoming more of a distant memory. Getting to the one year mark felt significant in more ways than one. It wasn't like we were starting a new chapter, it was as though we were starting a new book altogether. I actually feel like we are "normal" now, if such a thing even exists. We take Veronica everywhere, and for the most part, without worry. We no longer have hand sanitizer in every room of the house. We still wash our hands, but not as frequently as we did months ago (I can hear some of our micro preemie friends gasping!) No more synagis shots and the fear of RSV is all but eliminated. The only tangible reminder of Veronica's extreme prematurity is her bi-weekly visits from her physical therapist (who we absolutely love by the way.) Life is good. It really couldn't get much better than this.
Since it's been so long since I last posted, here is a quick update on how Veronica is doing:
- she isn't crawling yet but somehow manages to get from one side of the room to the other, either by rolling or scooting; she is determined to crawl and we know she will get there soon; her physical therapist is impressed with her progress
- just this week she learned to get herself up into a sitting position from lying down
- her first tooth has broken through!
- we have slowly started her on table foods and all is going well so far
- she still wakes up 1-2 times per night (yawn)....oh well, someday she'll get there...
- at 13 months old, I'm guessing she weighs about 20 lbs
- I am proud to say that she is still breastfed and going strong
- she has the most amazing disposition; so happy and easy to engage; I know everyone thinks this about their own babies, but she truly is a joy to be around
And now some photos from the month:
|It doesn't take much to get her to smile.|
|Playing with Theodore|
|This was a big month for Theodore as he made his First Holy Communion. Here he is pictured with our pastor, Monsignor Hart.|
|Finally, a photo of the eight of us.|
|First day at the pool - Veronica LOVED it!|