Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Veronica's Birth - April 18, 2011

In the middle of the night of April 18, 2011, while still on hospital bed rest, I went to the bathroom and felt something unusual when I wiped.  I immediately thought that it was a prolapsed cord.  The doctors told me I was at higher risk for a cord prolapse since there was very little amniotic fluid left.  I called the nurse and within seconds a nurse and two doctors were in my room.   Jenny, my nurse, immediately put the fetal monitor to my belly.  The baby's heart rate was stable which of course was  a huge relief but when they checked me, instead of finding a prolapsed cord they found Veronica’s foot.   The attending physician was called and there was mention of needing to do an immediate c-section but ultimately they decided there wasn't enough time.  I called Andrew at home and told him that the baby was coming.   Fortunately, my father had arrived to our home just hours earlier so Andrew was able to leave rather quickly without having to worry about our other five children.  After my call to Andrew, I was wheeled to labor and delivery and hooked up to an IV within seconds.  There were several nurses in the room, a medical student, a resident, the chief resident and the attending OB/GYN.  Two doctors and two nurses from the NICU were there as well.   Just minutes later, after three pushes, Veronica was born at 1:55am.  I was told that she cried, but I don’t remember hearing it.  Initially I didn’t see her as she was whisked half way across the room so the NICU staff could stabilize her.  I remember asking the OB staff if she was a boy or a girl, but I was told that I needed to wait.  It was as if they didn’t know.  I don’t know how long I waited before they let me see her.  The OB doctors asked that the NICU staff bring her over to me before they took her away.  I can barely remember what I saw.   Clearly she was small, like no baby I had ever seen.  Moments later she was gone and our 119 day NICU Journey had just begun.....    

No comments:

Post a Comment