Saturday, May 26, 2012

Normalcy


I can't believe that May is almost over and this is my very first post of the month.  I would love to keep this blog going indefinitely, but my sense is that my posts will continue to become more and more infrequent.  I am finding that although I still think of Veronica's early arrival and her NICU journey, it seems to be becoming more of a distant memory.  Getting to the one year mark felt significant in more ways than one.  It wasn't like we were starting a new chapter, it was as though we were starting a new book altogether.  I actually feel like we are "normal" now, if such a thing even exists.  We take Veronica everywhere, and for the most part, without worry.  We no longer have hand sanitizer in every room of the house.  We still wash our hands, but not as frequently as we did months ago (I can hear some of our micro preemie friends gasping!)  No more synagis shots and the fear of RSV is all but eliminated.  The only tangible reminder of Veronica's extreme prematurity is her bi-weekly visits from her physical therapist (who we absolutely love by the way.)  Life is good.  It really couldn't get much better than this.  

Since it's been so long since I last posted, here is a quick update on how Veronica is doing:

- she isn't crawling yet but somehow manages to get from one side of the room to the other, either by rolling or scooting; she is determined to crawl and we know she will get there soon; her physical therapist is impressed with her progress
- just this week she learned to get herself up into a sitting position from lying down
- her first tooth has broken through!
- we have slowly started her on table foods and all is going well so far
- she still wakes up 1-2 times per night (yawn)....oh well, someday she'll get there...
- at 13 months old, I'm guessing she weighs about 20 lbs
- I am proud to say that she is still breastfed and going strong
- she has the most amazing disposition; so happy and easy to engage; I know everyone thinks this about their own babies, but she truly is a joy to be around

And now some photos from the month:


It doesn't take much to get her to smile.

Playing with Theodore


This was a big month for Theodore as he made his First Holy Communion.  Here he is pictured with our pastor, Monsignor Hart.

Finally, a photo of the eight of us.

Proud parents.


First day at the pool - Veronica LOVED it!



6 comments:

  1. lol you sound like me! I let Ella do things noe I would have died if she had done before. Don't you think it is kind of sad that our kids "normal" lives will deminish again as soon as the next RSV season starts? I HATE those shots, my wallet HATES, those shots and last but not least Ella HATES those shots! Heres to a good summer at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO happy that you are finally experiencing some normalcy!! And I love love the new pictures of Veronica, she is absolutely adorable! Looks like she is going to have a super fun summer!! I wish I could get to the place you are. I'm still sleep-deprived, stressed out, paranoid about her health, etc. But Bella also has some pretty several oral aversion issues, and we have therapists in our home 4/5 days of the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks like such a happy baby! Kai is the same! That's awesome you're still nursing! Way to go. Kai also wakes up once a night too, I don't have to feed him or put him back to sleep, I just give him his pacifier and he goes back to sleep on his own.
    Veronica sure is amazing. Glad to hear all her progress. I may be down with my blog for now as well! At least we have Facebook to follow one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see a post! I have been thinking of you all. Yay for normalcy!! She is so cute, and that pic of her playing with Theodore is adorable. I think we are a bit away from normalcy, but we've created our own that include lots of nebulizer treatments but everyone happy and thriving. Any tips on table foods? Don't stay away too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a good thing. I still keep blogging because I want to keep in touch with relatives and friedns I do not talk regularly. Veronica is so cute... I love that picture of her in the pool! It's amazing she's able to pull herself up from lying down. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came to see how Veronica is doing. I knew you would not be updating this blog too often now but still... Any way, I hope she is doing well!

    ReplyDelete