Saturday, September 17, 2011

September 17, 2006

Today I dedicate this blog to my mother, Diane Williams, who passed away on September 17, 2006 after a 10 month battle with ovarian cancer.  She was only 61-years-old.  At the time of her death, we only had three children; now we have six.  It breaks my heart that she never got to see or hold Sebastian, Josephine or Veronica.  The births of Sebastian and Josephine were so bittersweet for me because she was not here to celebrate their arrivals into this world.  With Veronica, there were so, so many times during her NICU stay that I wished my mother were still here.  And oh how I wished she could have been here to celebrate Veronica's homecoming.  I know she would have loved it.

My mom with Liesl and Theodore,  November 2003.

In memory of my mother, I would like to share some of the symptoms of ovarian cancer;  having knowledge of these signs and symptoms could someday help save a life. 

- Vaginal bleeding or unusual discharge
- Pain in the pelvic or abdominal area (the area below your stomach and between your hip bones).
- Back pain.
- Bloating, which is when the area below your stomach swells or feels full.
- Feeling full quickly while eating.
- A change in your bathroom habits, such as having to pass urine very badly or very often, constipation, or diarrhea.  (http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/ovarian/basic_info/symptoms.htm)

 These symptoms may be caused by something other than cancer, but the only way to know is to see a doctor. The earlier ovarian cancer is found and treated, the more likely treatment will be effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment